Wednesday, October 28, 2009

At last!

So, Joe finally got a calling in church. I am on my second one in this ward. So, I was pretty glad when the Elder's Quorum Presidency showed up on our doorstep this last week. They asked him to be the E.Q. secretary. Joe says he apparently didn't get it right the last time. I think he was so great at it that the Lord knew he would be a great person for that calling in this ward. But we did chuckle when they said they would like him to be the secretary. It's funny how you get those repeat callings sometimes. I sometimes think we move too soon so we have to finish up our time in that same calling in a different ward.

I was called to be a Primary teacher a few months ago. I taught the CTR5 class. They are very active. There was just one boy and 7 girls. I was a team teacher. Apparently the class needed two teachers to keep it under control. One crazy Sunday our busy boy managed to injure three of the girls. The first time we were coloring. He started coloring on the wall so I had him sit down. He couldn't sit still and somehow his chair fell over on one girl's head. These are those heavy, folding, metal chairs. Ouch! She was crying and sitting on my lap while I was trying to teach. The other teacher took her while I continued the lesson. We sat on the ground in a circle for a little story. Busy boy decided he liked rolling onto his back instead of sitting and he managed to kick a girl in the head. She wasn't hurt too bad just kind of mad at him. Next we were passing a bean bag around as we shared ways we could show our love for Jesus. Well, instead of passing the bean bag, Busy Boy, decided to throw it as hard as he could. It hit another girl in the eye. The other teacher now had two crying girls on her lap. No one wanted to sit by the boy. They kept saying he was naughty and they didn't like him. I just kept telling them (and myself) he is just a busy boy and he has a hard time sitting still but, they could be good examples for him by being really reverent. :) Most of them have started kindergarten now and I think the routine of it and learning to sit and listen is having an effect on them in Primary too. The last two weeks I was their teacher the were wonderful. It was great to end that calling on a good note.

So, for the last two Sundays I have gotten to sit in front of the Primary as the 2nd counselor. I actually enjoy it. Time goes by so fast! We're always running around finding subs, getting supplies for teachers (sometimes the library isn't open), or helping in some other way. I oversee Cub Scouts, Nursery (we have 3), and the four annual primary activities. The Presidency is great to work with and I look forward to getting to know them better.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Primary is so much fun. You are definitely going to be busy!

C-n-B said...

Hey, that's the same calling I have!! I really like it, but it can get quite hectic and crazy in a moments notice. We'll have to keep each other posted on good ideas!

HyDee said...

I LOVE PRIMARY!!! I have been in primary for 16 years and my 9th presidency - i guest i haven't gotten it right - and I hope i never do. All the hard work and chaos week after week, but it so worth to watch the kids love and testimony grow every week as well. ENJOY!!

Kristen said...

Way to go! And don't you just pray that your own child will never be that busy boy? =o)

Charles and Carolyn said...

That's exciting for the callings. I'm sure you both do a great job. I agree with Kristen, I'm always hoping my kids don't turn out like some of my nightmare 8 year olds.

Charles and Carolyn said...

Your blog rarely updates on my blogger. I'm not sure why?

Wise Family said...

I haven't checked blogs in a long time. I loved all your pictures of Rebekah's birthday! She is still as cute as a bug! I am glad you are enjoying your new calling! See you guys soon!