Friday, March 6, 2009

Choices

Paige has been planning her birthday party since she ate her cake last year. She had her guest list made, her cake designed, and theme chosen. My kids get to have a "friend" birthday party every other year. So, this would be the year for friends. As time passed she talked about it less and less. Then as March drew nearer she started gearing up for her big birthday party again. Since she is turning eight she is also excited about getting baptized at the same time as two of her friends. We decided to make things easy we would go out to eat after the baptism with whatever family wanted to join us. This would be our Paige and Joe birthday celebration. Paige was excited because she got to choose where to eat and of course she chose Granny's Buffet. I don't think she has even eaten there before. She just gets a kick out of calling Grandma Hull Granny. Anyhow... One day I was feeling rather tired and lazy and thought I would try to get out of having a birthday party with friends. So, I asked Paige if she still wanted to have friends over for a birthday party or if it was good enough that she was getting baptized with friends and would get to go to eat at Granny's with family. She thought for a moment and said that getting baptized and going out to eat were enough. Well, a few days later I was feeling guilty about talking my daughter out of a birthday party. I asked her again if that was what she really wanted. I could tell she was thinking really hard. Here's what she finally said, "I do want a birthday party but, I really want to get baptized." She thought I wanted her to choose between a party or baptism. She chose baptism! I felt so happy that she made that choice. Then I clarified. She didn't have to choose between the two. I just wondered if she still wanted a party. So, we are doing a small birthday party with a few friends. Which reminds me, I need to get off here and make some invitations. I just love it when our children make good choices. Maybe we aren't such awful parents after all.

4 comments:

NaDell said...

That's so sweet. I love that she chose Baptism too. I'm glad you asked her again.
Maybe she'll get an "extra" present or two now?
I'm glad that girl is off AI too. She's so annoying. Nathaniel too. Eww.

Montana at the Helm said...

Way to go Paige! It's scary how communication can get so mixed up.

I love your new pictures of the family! They look great!

jaclyn weist said...

Yay Paige! Our Jakob is getting baptized and he's pretty excited too!!!

The Hardys Go To Washington DC said...

Hi Melissa! That is really cute! Julia is so sad she is missing Paige and Gabriela's baptism! I think that is her greatest regret about moving here, I always hear about it!
Valaney :)